Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm Back

I was sitting here listening to the rain outside and drinking ridiculously strong coffee (which I know I'm going to regret when I try to go to bed in a couple of hours), and I realized it's been over a week since I've posted anything. Wow! Time really does fly. 

We had a great little weekend getaway last week: hung out with friends, did some shopping, ate some good food... It was just what we needed. Our friends live right by the Hong Kong border (but on the Mainland side), so we all took a day trip into the city. Of course, even though Hong Kong is once more officially part of China, you still have to show your passport/visa and go through an official border crossing:



The line was pretty long this time. It took forever to get through.



Here's a closeup of the logo on this guy's jacket - pretty apropos, don't you think?



I have to say, I love the Page One bookstores in Hong Kong! They're packed with English books (in a full range of subjects), English magazines, and kitschy stuff like lomo cameras/accessories. I haven't found a bookstore here in Mainland China that has even a third of their English book selection. Just one more reason why I'm really starting to like Hong Kong.

In just a couple of weeks we'll be making a trip to Thailand. Sadly, Bangkok is not on the itinerary this time, so no scrapbooking store for me. But I am hoping to scrounge up some decor items from the Chiang Mai night market - if you dig deep enough you can find some really creative stuff made by some of the younger,hipper artisans. It's kind of hit-or-miss, though, so we'll see. Number one thing on my travel itinerary? Head to the Chiang Mai Saloon for loaded mashed potatoes - homemade creamy goodness covered in gooey cheddar cheese and crispy-chewy bacon. Ultimate comfort food, baby. Oh, yeah, we are ALL about the food here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the fun fun travels you get to go on! I would love to go to Thailand, scrapbook store or no :)

    I went to HK ages ago. When it was not part of China. Had a fun time. Ate lots. I think my mom shopped. I dunno, it's been awhile and I was too into reading to know where the heck I was... my nose was literally in a book all my waking hours back then :P

    ReplyDelete