Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Toilet Paper Embossing

I've been drooling over the Pink Paislee "Artisan Elements: Frames" since they came out, but sadly I've never been able to snag a package. Gorgeous, no?

image from Pink Paislee

I do, however have their Bayberry Cottage stamp set, which contains an exact match to one of the frames. And I got to thinking: What if I could make my own version? Didn't I read somewhere that you could use wet toilet paper and rubber stamps to make embossed images? A little internet research led me to this step-by-step tutorial, which in turn led to this:


Can you believe that's just toilet paper? I used 6 sheets of 3-ply toilet paper, which resulted in a nice, sturdy piece. After drying for a few hours, I cut out the middle and trimmed around the edges with scissors and a craft knife. I still can't get over how easy it was. Here's a closeup so you can see a bit more of the detail:


It would also be really cool to try this with clay, although I'm not sure I'd have the patience to deal with rolling out the clay, trimming, drying, etc. I think for now I'll stick to the tp method!

Supplies:
Stamps: Pink Paislee "Bayberry Cottage" (frame), Teresa Collins "Posh" (bird), Hero Arts "Everyday Sayings" (sentiment)
Ink: SEI chalk "turquoise", "bordeaux"
Patterned Paper: Basic Grey "Urban Prairie", Prima Marketing "Melody"
Accessories: adhesive rhinestones, foam adhesive, toilet paper

 

5 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that is toilet paper...absolutely amazing! I love it!!! Great new bloggie banner too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is genius. I can't wait to try it. I get inspired every time I stop by your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. long handled toilet brush

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit, I have not been on this web page in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. bathroom brush

    ReplyDelete