Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Up till a few weeks ago, I'd resisted the banner/pennant trend. But then I started seeing not only mini-pennants, but double-sided cupcake flags in all sorts of bright, fun patterns. Not having a local scrapbook store to run out and buy them from, I set about trying to recreate my own.


I used the Design Studio software and the Cricut Mother's Day cartridge to create diamond-shaped pennants approximately 4 1/2"w x 1 1/8"h. Then I pulled out an assortment of patterned stamps and went to town! Unfortunately, I didn't have any cupcakes on hand, so I decided to go with a mini-banner card:


To give my banner something to "hang" from, I embossed the cardfront using Nestabilities and this technique . Next, I folded each pennant in half around a length of embroidery floss, adhering the sides together with tape runner, before tying off the ends of the floss. I attached each pennant to the cardfront using foam adhesive, then glued the bows in place. 

To make cupcake flags, simply wrap each pennant around a toothpick and adhere. I love that I can stamp these in whatever designs I want, or cut them from patterned paper. And since I have the template saved in Design Studio, cutting more is as simple as the click of a mouse!

I have to say, I'm really having fun figuring out this whole electronic die-cutter thing. Is it essential for cardmaking? Not at all. But I do appreciate the extra "something" it can add to a project!

Card Supplies:
Stamps: Anna Griffin "Darcey", SEI "Bridgeport", Papertrey Ink "Polka Dot Basics", Hero Arts "All Occasion Messages"; Ink: ColorBox pigment "Marigold", "Citrine", "Orange", "Razzberry", "Antique Pewter", "Picante", Versacolor "Mountain Lake"; Accessories: Cricut / Mother's Day 2010 cartridge / Design Studio software, Cuttlebug / Rectangle Nestabilities, embroidery floss, foam adhesive

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I like how you made the pennants! Took a look through your blog and you're making me want to pull out my cricut machine again! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete