Sunday, December 19, 2010

DIY Embossing Plates

I held out as long as I could, but with a little nudging from hubby I went ahead and opened my new Cricut. This time everything is working great! (My previous Cricut dropped dead after only a handful of uses.) 

One of the really cool things you can do with the Cricut is make your own embossing plates (aka impression plates or texture plates). It's insanely easy! First, choose your image and size it appropriately, then cut it out three times from cardstock. I cut this square image at 3 3/4" (real dial size off):


Next, glue the three diecuts on top of each other, keeping them aligned as closely as possible (I used a Zig 2-Way Glue Pen). You'll end up with one thick diecut, like this:


Once the glue is dry, your new "embossing plate" is ready for use in your manual embossing machine! Here's the stack that I used in my Cuttlebug, starting from the bottom:
  1. A Plate
  2. B Plate
  3. DIY embossing plate
  4. Cardstock
  5. Spellbinders tan embossing mat*
  6. B Plate
*I actually use two tan mats together - it works best for my Cuttlebug - but I recommend starting with just one mat. Some Cuttlebugs are tighter/looser than others! 

And here's the finished product:


See how nice and crisp the impression is? Just think of the possibilities - it's got me looking at Cricut cartridges in a whole new light!

Card Supplies:
Stamps: SEI "Windsor" (leaf), PTI "Mixed Messages" (sentiment); Ink: Ink It Up! pigment (olive), SEI chalk (cocoa); Accessories: Cricut / Storybook cartridge, Cuttlebug / 2x2 stamps die / 2x2 sliders die, watercolor paper, raffia, edge distresser, foam dimensionals

3 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. I never thought I needed the Cricut before, but I may have to rethink this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This is insanely beautiful. I had no idea you could do that. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!! I've read about this but haven't been motivated to do it. Now I want to!!!! Super adorable... totally love it!

    ReplyDelete