Monday, January 6, 2014

DIY Faux Chalkboard Embellishments




The snow-pocalypse is upon us, so I'm holed up in my craft room with Pandora and lots of coffee. I've been drooling over the sneak peek of the newest chalkboard embellishments from My Mind's Eye. Since they're not available in stores yet, I decided to try making my own.


The Artiste Cricut cartridge (from Close To My Heart) has several of these swing cards; after cutting out the cards, I cut the coordinating label shapes out of leftover cereal box. I then painted them with matte black acrylic paint, rubbed them with chalk, and brushed off the excess. All that was left was to stamp some stylized sentiments with white pigment ink! Easy DIY faux chalkboard embellishments. 

I was also inspired by the current CAS-ual Fridays challenge: choose a word that describes what you hope for the new year. My word is POSSIBILITIES!


Can't wait to see what the coming year has in store...

ETA: Also linking up at the Paper Players Challenge: A Clean Slate. Thanks for the heads up, wienerhoneymooners! 

11 comments:

  1. Hey you! Good to see you posting...love your chalkboard elements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I'm slowly getting those creative juices flowing again! :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous CAS card! Great sentiment. Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The Paper Players Challenge ending tomorrow features the Chalk Board Technique, you should link up!
    Well Done, love how CAS it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! :) Going to check out the Paper Players Challenge now!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, just found your site... I see you know Kimberly and Amy...do you have connections to Seattle at all? That's where I am! I REALLY like your cards. These turned out so well! I will look forward to coming back and seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nope, no "IRL" connections to Seattle, although I did visit this past summer with my mom (we took an Alaskan cruise that left from Seattle). I really enjoyed what we saw of the city, and it's definitely on my list of places to visit again someday. :) Thanks so much for stopping by my little blog!

      Delete
  6. Fabulously clean, simple and elegant! Love the idea of making a flip card with an e-cutter! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of CAS chalkboard cards, Lisa! I hope you are surviving the snow OK. Thanks for playing along with us this week at The Paper Players, and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun card set! I love the chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete